Monday, June 7, 2010

Froyo is good stuff

Since I received my Droid, I have (for the most part) stayed away from rooting my phone.  But with the Android 2.2 ROM already available and Verizon's history of extreme slowness in getting to market with new OS release I decided not to wait.

Attempt #1

Abject failure.  I was able to get most of it done then, while trying get the 2.2 ROM installed, I totally software bricked my phone.  Luckily, there is a big difference between a software brick and a hardware brick.  I used the Motorola developer's tool that allows you to force an overwrite on the ROM.  Thank god that stuff is publicly available because I thought I had created a disaster.  !!!WARNING!!!  If you are going to do something to your phone Verizon phone to need activation, don't do it on a Saturday night.  Their systems go down around 10:30pm and aren't back online until around 7:00AM.

Attempt #2

Sweet success.  Switch to the Clockwork Recovery mod approach and it was super straight-forward and easy.  Koushik Dutta is the man.

Results
Now I have a rooted ROM running a very stable version of Froyo (Android 2.2) and it is the cat's ass.  Fast, slick, and flexible. Yummy.
  • The new Gallery looks slick but is still a little buggy in this build
  • New launch bar is huge.  Finally direct access to the Browser and Phone from all desktops.
  • Phone log finally consolidates some entries.  Still doesn't work the way I would like but a big improvement.
  • New Google Search bar is nice.
  • Lots of improvements to the Exchange mail and calendar integration for the enterprise users out there.
  • and the coup de grace...The new Gmail client is a HUGE step forward.  It may be better than the full browser client.
I am totally dependent on Gmail.  My personal email and enterprise email are GMail based so I use many of the features available in the base application and through Labs.  The new Android client is simply excellent.  Multiple accounts, multiple calendars, enhanced controls in opened mails.  It is a joy.  I hope this rolls to iPhone users soon because I work with some them and trying to configure the phone for multiple email clients is a pain.  The new app solves most of those problems.

I have been a huge fan of the phone since the day I got it and have morphed into a fanboy over time.  My only complaint is the the useless DPad on the keyboard but the hardware and software have matured to a point that the user experience is everything I hoped for when I bought it.  Kudos to the Android team.

Postscript
I watched the coverage of WWDC today.  Although I will never buy an iPhone (opposition to the Walled Garden and whatnot) I have to say it is one of the most beautiful pieces of hardware I have ever seen.  The design is world-class and the display is miraculous.  When you package that hardware with iOS 4.0 and the six month acceleration of the upgrade for existing customers, I think this may sell faster than the previous models.  If it was on multiple carriers it would be an unstoppable force.

No comments: