Friday, June 25, 2010

Froyo Update

So I have been living with 2.2 a couple of weeks and I want to follow up on my previous observations.


It is noticeably faster - In almost all typical everyday actions, you will have a faster device.  Most of this is probably related to JIT and code optimization and it will be one of the key differentiator for the average user.  With live wall paper and several applications running I still don't see any lag.  Definitely catching up to the iPhone on this count.


The minor tweaks simplify use - The new launcher bar with links to the dialer and browser is smart.  It is at the bottom of every page and it gets you to the two most important application son the phone very quickly.  The phone log is a step in the right direction but does not go far enough in consolidating entries by contact.  The new Gmail client is very, very good.  Native Gallery integration to Picasa is also a winner.  And, by the way, it took me several days to realize that Corporate Calendar was gone and now all my calendars (Corp Exchange and a boatload of Google calendars) are all in one place.


The pre-release versions are super stable - I am running a ROM that is based on FRF57 (older build) and it never fails.  No reboots, no slowdowns, no forced closes.  It just works.  I hope there is a stable, rooted version of FRF83 (final source version) soon.


I can hold my phone any way I want and it doesn't impact performance - Sorry, I had to sneak this in.  Seriously, Steve Jobs, your answer is "You are all holding your phones incorrectly."  Arrogant, tone deaf megalomaniac.


Swype is awesome - OK, technically this has nothing to do with Froyo but I got the invite right after I upgraded.  It is fast, easy to use, and good looking.  Thank you Swype development team.


Can't wait to see those final builds, guys.  This is a huge step in the right direction.



No comments: